Friday, September 7, 2012

I'm not positive, but I'm trying.

For the most part, I find overly positive people to be exceedingly irksome.  They just get under my skin.  Maybe it's because I think they are just putting up a front by being so overly happy all the time.  I must say, though, that there are exceptions.  I do have a few friends that are very positive and happy people and I like them very much in spite of it.  I'm not generally the most positive person, but I am trying to eliminate the perception that I am always mad or have a bad attitude.  I do know that it is working because I just had my mid-year evaluation at my job.  It was overwhelmingly positive, and for the first time since I was promoted to management I was not given negative feedback for being too negative.  I was still told by my store manager that I need to smile more.  Whenever someone says something about me not smiling enough I usually ask them if I should walk around with a big dumb grin on my face all the time like some kind of moron.  Really, should I?  I'm sorry if my normal facial expressions are scary or somehow offensive to some people, but that's just the way I am, sorry!  I don't have a pretty face and I'm not going to walk around looking like a damn fool with a dopey grin so people won't be afraid of me.  Those that really know me know that I am not scary or unapproachable, unless you really piss me off, and it usually takes a lot for that to happen.  I am working really hard at trying to not let the little things bother me so much.  I am trying to be a happier person, but it is hard, especially the last 6 months.  I am by nature, or perhaps nurture, somewhat of a pessimist, although I prefer to think of myself more as a realist.  I generally have a wait and see attitude, and am pretty laid back for the most part.  I am not creative thinker, I am a logical thinker.  I don't want to be seen as Mr. Negativity, I know someone like that, and although I like them very much, the overwhelming negativity wears on me sometimes.  So I am making a concerted effort to portray a more positive attitude and try to eliminate most of the grumpiness that a lot of people see in me.  I know my bosses having noticed, hopefully others are noticing too.

No comments:

Post a Comment